Despite reaching an undisclosed settlement with Halyna Hutchins’ family, Alec Baldwin is still facing criminal charges.
The family of Baldwin and Hutchins finally settled the wrongful-death lawsuit about the cinematographer’s death more than a year after the “Rust” shooting incident occurred.
According to Reuters, the settlement reached on Wednesday included both parties’ agreement to resume production on the film in January 2023. After being injured in the incident, Joel Souza will continue to direct; Baldwin and the other characters will reprise their roles.
Because the cinematographer died while filming, her husband, Matthew Hutchins, will serve as executive producer.
“I have no interest in engaging in recriminations or attribution of blame (to the producers or Mr. Baldwin). All of us believe Halyna’s death was a terrible accident. I am grateful that the producers and the entertainment community have come together to pay tribute to Halyna’s final work.”
On February 15, the family filed a wrongful death lawsuit, claiming that Baldwin, the film’s companies, producers, and crew members violated industry standards.
The Rust Movie Productions, LLC has since broken its silence on the new development, expressing its optimism that once the parties resolve the matter, the film will continue celebrating Hutchins’ life and honor her work.
Despite the settlement, Baldwin has yet to be cleared of potential charges.
Despite the settlement agreement, a Santa Fe District Attorney spokesperson told CNN that it would not affect the ongoing criminal investigation in the case.
Heather Brewer of the New Mexico Office of the First Judicial District Attorney argued that criminal cases are about facts. If the investigation reveals that criminal charges are possible under New Mexico law, the people involved will face charges.
Brewer said that this is how “no one is above the law.”
Baldwin has been identified as one of the “Rust” individuals who could face charges soon.
Last month, First Judicial District Attorney Mary Carmack-Altwies requested a $635,500 emergency fund because they are reportedly about to charge people. During the meeting, Carmack-Altwies informed the New Mexico Board of Finance that the final report would be received in a few weeks, if not days.