The night before he was discovered dead in his bathtub, Aaron Carter was supposed to be doing something productive.
The 34-year-old musician went to rehab after his fiancée Melanie Martin convinced him that he needed it.
Melanie allegedly confronted the “I’m All About You” singer in September about his drug use, while fans called cops to check on him after suspecting him of inhaling compressed air while on Instagram Live.
The “Candy” singer introduced himself as the “troll hunter” and claimed to be spraying an air freshener.
Authorities responded to a complaint about a person “possibly overdosing on social media,” and they arrived at the Lancaster, California, residence. Aaron eventually opened the door but told the cops he was sleeping. His house was drug-free.
According to TMZ, Nick Carter’s younger brother chose treatment to regain custody of his child, Prince. Though the court did not order it, he saw it as a step toward seeing his child, who was being cared for by Melanie’s mother.
Aaron had attended several program sessions and was scheduled to attend another online session the night before the disaster on Friday evening. He, however, did not attend the conference.
The next day, his housekeeping discovered Aaron Carter had drowned in his bathtub. According to authorities, he was last heard from around 2 a.m. on Friday.
When the housekeeper went to his room to tell him that the authorities were outside doing a welfare check, he allegedly told her to tell them to leave and never came out of his room.
The housekeeper did not see Aaron until she walked into his room on Friday or Saturday morning and discovered his lifeless body.
The jets in the bathtub were still running when Aaron’s body was discovered. According to accounts, the corpse had been in the tub for longer than it had been decaying. Even the water turned yellow.
The autopsy on Aaron Carter was completed this week, but the results have been delayed due to toxicology testing.
The musician was known to have struggled with substance abuse in his later years, and the compressed air cans may have contributed to his fatal drowning.