Prince Harry, Meghan ‘fought hard to attack’ royal family despite reconciliation comments: Royal expert

NEW YORK, NEW YORK - SEPTEMBER 23: Meghan, Duchess of Sussex and Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex visit One World Observatory at One World Observatory on September 23, 2021 in New York City. (Photo by Roy Rochlin/Getty Images)

According to a royal expert, a reconciliation between Prince Harry and Meghan Markle and the royal family is unlikely to happen anytime soon.

Jonathan Sacerdoti, a British journalist and royal commentator, weighed in on Prince Harry’s comments in a new teaser for his upcoming interview with Britain’s ITV channel that he wants to reconcile with his father, King Charles, and older brother, Prince William.

The Duke of Sussex’s previous actions, according to Sacerdoti, suggested that this was not the case.

Sacerdoti told Us Weekly Tuesday of Prince Harry’s comments ahead of the release of the royal’s tell-all book, “Spare”:

“It seems to me like he’s acknowledging [that] there’s no way back from this [in the clip].”

The royal expert claimed:

“He said he wants his brother back, he wants his father back. … I think that seems a bit rich, to be honest, because Meghan and Harry have done everything they could to alienate themselves from their family. I think they’ve really fought quite hard to attack the family.”

Since leaving their roles as working royals, Prince Harry and Meghan have expressed their dissatisfaction with various aspects of royal life on numerous occasions, including an interview with Oprah Winfrey in March 2021 and their Netflix docuseries “Harry & Meghan.”

However, the Duke of Sussex, who is scheduled to appear on “60 Minutes” and ITV Sunday, has stated that he hopes to repair his relationship with his father and brother, though they do not appear to share his sentiments.

According to Us Weekly, he claimed in a teaser for the ITV interview:

“I want a family, not an institution. … They’ve shown absolutely no willingness to reconcile. I would like to get my father back. I would like to have my brother back.”

He asserted, though it was unclear to whom he was referring:

“It never needed to be this way. The leaking and the planting … They feel as though it’s better to keep us, somehow, as the villains.”

Some palace insiders agree with Sacerdoti that a resolution between the Sussexes and the royals is still a long way off.

Following the release of the six-part Netflix docuseries “Harry & Meghan,” an anonymous royal source previously told Entertainment Tonight that “there is no trust left” between the royal family and the California-based couple. The source also stated that “everyone is wary” about the release of Prince Harry’s memoir.

Katie Nicholl, Vanity Fair royal correspondent, also told ET that Prince William took Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s docuseries “very personally” and felt “very badly betrayed” by his younger brother.

Prince Harry claimed in one episode of “Harry & Meghan” that his older brother “screamed” at him during a family meeting about his decision to step down from royal duties in 2020.

Without elaborating on what was said to him, Prince Harry stated:

“It was terrifying to have my brother scream and shout at me, and my father say things that weren’t true, and my grandmother quietly sits there and take it all in.”

The memoir “Spare” by Prince Harry will be released on January 10.